Friday, March 11, 2022

Saturday prior to Lent 2

 

The Scripture lessons for Sunday teach us to show our love for God by being faithful to Him, even in the face of resistance and persecution by our enemies—by the enemies of God. Sunday’s hymn of the day, Lord, Thee I Love with All My Heart (LSB 708), expresses the love that we have for God for all that He has done for us, especially that Thy precious blood my soul has bought (stanza 1). It is also a plea to God to help us remain firm in our faithful devotion to Him, until the end “when at last Thine angels come, to Abr’ham’s bosom bear me home.” Let this beautiful hymn ever be our prayer!

Lord, Thee I love with all my heart

Lord, Thee I love with all my heart;
I pray Thee, ne’er from me depart,
With tender mercy cheer me.
Earth has no pleasure I would share,
Yea, heav’n itself were void and bare
If Thou, Lord, wert not near me.
And should my heart for sorrow break,
My trust in Thee no one could shake.
Thou art the Portion I have sought;
Thy precious blood my soul has bought.
Lord Jesus Christ, my God and Lord,
My God and Lord,
Forsake me not! I trust Thy Word.
 
Yea, Lord, ’twas Thy rich bounty gave
My body, soul, and all I have
In this poor life of labor.
Lord, grant that I in ev’ry place
May glorify Thy lavish grace
And serve and help my neighbor.
Let no false doctrine me beguile,
Let Satan not my soul defile.
Give strength and patience unto me
To bear my cross and follow Thee.
Lord Jesus Christ, my God and Lord,
My God and Lord,
In death Thy comfort still afford.
 
Lord, let at last Thine angels come,
To Abr’ham’s bosom bear me home,
That I may die unfearing;
And in its narrow chamber keep
My body safe in peaceful sleep
Until Thy reappearing.
And then from death awaken me
That these mine eyes with joy may see,
O Son of God, Thy glorious face,
My Savior and my Fount of grace.
Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend,
My prayer attend,
And I will praise Thee without end.

 Collect for the Second Sunday in LentO God You see that of ourselves we have no strength. By Your mighty power defend us from all adversities that may happen to the body and from all evil thoughts that may assault and hurt the soul; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen [1] -12 march, 2022

 Remember to set your clocks ahead one hour or you might show up for church just in time to hear the benediction.



[1] Collect for Lent 2, Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis


No comments: