Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Tuesday of Lent 3


Tuesday of Lent 3 – March 17, 2019 – 1 Peter 1:1-9
 
[1]

I bind unto myself the name,
    The strong name of the Trinity
By invocation of the same,
    The Three in One and One in Three,
Of whom all nature has creation,
    Eternal Father, Spirit, Word.
Praise to the Lord of my salvation;
    Salvation is of Christ the Lord! [2]

Today is St. Patrick day remembered as a missionary to Ireland.  Patrick was a Bishop and Patron Saint of Ireland. He was the son of a deacon, and grandson of a presbyter. He was born most probably near Dumbarton, in North Britain, in the year 372. According to his epistle, his father was also a member of the local town council, and a Roman by descent. St. Patrick alludes to his having been originally a freeman, and of noble birth. His mother's name was Concessa, believed to have been the sister of St. Martin of Tours. Since it invokes the Trinity this hymn is usually sung not only on St. Patrick’s Day but also on Trinity Sunday. At least forty-five hymnals contain this hymn, which has become popular in recent years. 

The following prayer is attributed to Patrick:

Christ be with me, Christ be before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie, Christ when I sit.
Christ be in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every ear that hears me.

O Lord, we beseech You mercifully to hear us; and grant that we, to whom You have given a fervent desire to pray, may, by Your mighty aid, be defended and comforted in all dangers and adversities; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen. [3]

Almighty and ever-living God as You used Patrick to teach the people of Ireland the truth of the eternal Trinity so make us faithful in all matters of teaching and godly living to the praise and honor of Your most holy name. [4]
________________
1. Image The Holy Trinity © Higher Things
2. I Bind Unto Myself, Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
3.  Collect for Tuesday of Lent 3, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
4.  Collect for Patrick © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: