Thursday, March 26, 2020

Thursday of Lent 4


Thursday of Lent 4 –March 26, 2020 – Galatians 6:14



When I survey the wondrous cross
    On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss
    And pour contempt on all my pride. [1] 

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” – Galatians 6:14

The reason Jesus died on the cross was to atone for the sins of the world.  Ever since that fateful day in the Garden of Eden, when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, all of creation was headed for eternal destruction. (Genesis 3)  It was God’s gracious plan of salvation that stopped us from paying the penalty of death. (John 3:16)  In an act of pure selflessness and love, Jesus bore the brunt of our sins, endured the suffering we deserved, and took our place on the cross.  Because of Christ’s sacrifice, we are given the gift of eternity.  I do nothing to earn my salvation. Christ paid the ultimate price. (1 Peter 1:18-21) The commodity of faith is received as a gift.

Jesus stands as both Savior and Redeemer, offering forgiveness and life.  Knowing all that Christ has done we now “live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness.” (See Luther’s Small Catechism, explanation to the 2nd Article of the Apostles Creed)

Almighty and most merciful God, drive from us all weakness of body, mind and spirit; that, being restored to wholeness, we may with free hearts become what You intend us to be and accomplish what You want us to do; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen [2]
_______________________
1. When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis 
2. Collect for Thursday of Lent 4, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: