Sunday, March 8, 2020

Second Sunday in Lent



Second Sunday in Lent – March 8, 2020 – 1 John 4:19
 
[1]

Lord, Thee I love with all my heart;
I pray Thee, ne’er from me depart,
    With tender mercy cheer me.
Earth has no pleasure I would share.
Yea, heav’n itself were void and bare
    If Thou, Lord, wert not near me.
And should my heart for sorrow break,
My trust in Thee can nothing shake.
    Thou art the portion I have sought;
    Thy precious blood my soul has bought.
Lord Jesus Christ, my God and Lord, my God and Lord,
Forsake me not! I trust Thy Word. [2]

Our hymn for today is a prayer of sincere faith. It is a prayer often recited on the deathbed of a devout believer. They are the words of faith. These lines can only be recited in faith.   

Many are the trials I face Lord. Protect me and guide me through them all! Many are the temptations before me Lord. Give me courage to overcome them. Many are the sorrows and afflictions before me Lord. Give me a merciful heart to help and of love where I cannot.  Lord, prepare for me a heart steadfast in love; a soul filled with loving-kindness and a spirit of right judgment in every circumstance.

Stanza three is a wonderful parting pray for every devout Christian. “Lord, let at last Thine angels come, To Abr’ham’s bosom bear me home, That I may die un-fearing; And in its narrow chamber keep My body safe in peaceful sleep Until Thy reappearing. And then, from death awaken me. That these mine eyes with joy may see, O Son of God, thy glorious face, My Savior and my fount of grace. Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend, And I will praise thee without end.” [3] 

O God, whose glory it is always to have mercy: Be gracious to all who have gone astray from Your ways, and bring them again with penitent hearts and steadfast faith to embrace and hold fast the unchangeable truth of Your Word, Jesus Christ Your Son; who with You and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, forever and ever. Amen. [4] 

O God, You see that of ourselves we have no strength. By Your mighty power defend us from all adversities that may happen to the body and from all evil thoughts that may assault and hurt the soul; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. [5]
_____________
1 Image: The New Jerusalem, Jesus, the Alpha and Omega, Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS for personal and congregational use 
2 Lord Thee I Love with All My Heart stanza 1 Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St, Louis
3 Lord, The I love with All My Heart stanza 3 Lutheran Service Book,; © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
4 Collect for Sunday of Lent 2,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
5 Collect for Lent 2 Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: