Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Wednesday of Lent 1


Wednesday of Lent 1 – March 4, 2020 –John 18:12-14



Yet, O Lord, not thus alone
Make me see Thy Passion
But its cause to me make known
And its termination
Ah! I also and my sin
Wrought Thy deep affliction
This indeed the cause hath been
Of Thy crucifixion. [1]

During this holy season, we meditate on what Christ did and endured to earn our salvation. We mark His arrest, trial, suffering and crucifixion. The cause for which Christ was arrested, tried, scourged and crucified was to win for me salvation.

When Christ died – all of our sin died. Our sins, with all evil lusts were all drowned and killed. But we do more than merely observe Christ’s action. We recall, affirm and believe what Christ has done. He suffered and died that I may receive salvation and life.

It was my sin and mine alone which caused Jesus to suffer and die. It is my sin, which caused me to be separated from the Father, from Christ, and my neighbor. The hymn reminds us, “This indeed the cause has been of Thy crucifixion.”

Christ suffered for me because I can do nothing to earn my salvation. My sin robs me of fellowship with God or with my neighbor. “Lord if You should mark iniquity who shall stand.”-Psalm 130:3  

Because Christ has suffered for me and on my behalf I now enjoy the blessings that come from Christ’s bloody cross; salvation, forgiveness, life eternal.

Bless us, O God, in this holy season, in which our hearts seek Your help and healing; and so purify us by Your discipline that we may grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen. [2] 

Image: The Crucifixion, Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS for personal and congregational use
1. Jesus I Will Ponder Now stanza three, Lutheran Service Book  © 2006  The Lutheran Hymnal © 1941 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
2. Collect for Wednesday of Lent 1,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: