Thursday, March 23, 2017

Thursday of Lent 3



Thursday of Lent 3, March 23, 2017   Psalm 4:8
               

Psalm 4:8 English Standard Version (ESV)

8 In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
    for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

David complains that his enemies are speaking ill of him as king in an attempt to shame him. He reminds them that God sets apart the godly from those who behave in such a manner. How often do we find ourselves speaking ill of people in authority of colleagues and peers? God’s Word condemns unjust complaints. Through David, God encourages us to turn from our sinful ways and “trust in the Lord.” Such trust brings peace of mind and eternal peace. You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Teach me to judge rightly and dwell in peace. 1

David will say in Psalm 3:5, “I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.” It is the Lord who sustains us through life. The hymn verse reinforces this with the words, “Through many dangers, toils, and snares I have already come; His grace has brought me safe thus far, His grace will lead me home.” 2

Keep watch over you church, O Lord, with your unfailing love; and, since it is grounded in human weakness and cannot maintain itself without your aid, protect it from all danger, and keep it in the way of salvation; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen 3

[1] Concordia Study Bible, © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St, Louis
[2] Amazing Grace stanza 3, The Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[3] Collect for Thursday of Lent 3, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
Luther’s Seal © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

No comments: