Friday, March 24, 2017

Friday of Lent 3



Friday of Lent 3, March 24, 2017 Psalm 25:15-16



Psalm 25:15-16 English Standard Version (ESV)

15 My eyes are ever towards the LORD,
    for he will pluck my feet out of the net.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
    for I am lonely and afflicted.

David depicts himself as a helpless animal, trapped in a net. A poetic description of David’s affliction by his enemies. 1

To whom shall we go? We run headlong into the waiting arms of our Lord. In the common confession of our sin we pray the following, “Almighty God, our maker and redeemer, we poor sinners confess unto You that we are by nature sinful and unclean and that we have sinned against You by thought, word, and deed. Wherefore we flee for refuge to Your infinite mercy, seeking and imploring Your grace for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 2  This prayer reminds us that we take solace in the mercies of Christ. 

Charles Wesley penned the following hymn verse, “Other refuge have I none; Hangs my helpless soul on Thee. Leave, ah, leave me not alone. Still support and comfort me! All my trust on Thee is stayed, All my help from Thee I bring, Cover my defenseless head With the shadow of Thy wing.3  May this be your constant prayer.  

Grant us, O Lord our Strength, to have a True Love of your Holy Name; so that, trusting in your grace, we may fear no earthly evil, nor fix our hearts on earthly goods, but may rejoice in your full salvation; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen. 4

[1] Concordia Study Bible © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St, Louis
[2] The Confession of Sins, Divine Service Setting Three, Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[3] Jesus, Lover of My Soul, Stanza Two, The Lutheran Hymnal, © 1943 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[4] Collect for Friday of Lent 3,   http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
Luther’s Seal © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

No comments: