Friday, March 3, 2017

Friday after Ash Wednesday

Friday after Ash Wednesday, March 3, 2017                    Psalm 57:1-3a    

         

Psalm 57:1-3a English Standard Version (ESV)

Let Your Glory Be over All the Earth

To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Miktam[a] of David, when he fled from Saul, in the cave.

57 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
    for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
    till the storms of destruction pass by.
I cry out to God Most High,
    to God who fulfils his purpose for me.

He will send from heaven and save me;
    he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah
God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!

These words are a confident plea for God’s mercy. When storms come, a bird gathers her chicks under her protective wing until the danger is past.  Using this vivid picture, the psalmist portrays God’s secure love and powerful protection. David submits to God’s will, knowing God works for his good.[1]

Evil and suffering are in this world because of sin. But in the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God has demonstrated His power over sin and death.  God in His almighty power and love causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him. He has promised to support us in this troubled life. Even as I now believe in Christ my Savior. I also know that I have been chosen to eternal life out of pure grace in Christ without any worthiness or merit on my own and that no one can pluck me out of His hand.

Support us, O Lord, with your gracious favor through the fast we have begun; that as we observe it by bodily self-denial, so we may fulfill it with inner sincerity of heart; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.[2]



[1] Lutheran Study Bible © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[2] Collect for Friday after Ash Wednesday, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
Luther’s Seal © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

No comments: