Sunday, March 26, 2017

Sunday of Lent 4



Fourth Sunday of Lent, March 26, 2017 Psalm 142:5
                            


Psalm 142:5 English Standard Version (ESV)

5 I cry to you, O LORD;
    I say, “You are my refuge,
    my portion in the land of the living.”

Here, the earthly inheritance is spiritualized to encompass “the land of the living” i.e. life itself in which God is our true inheritance.  1

Georg Pfefferkorn writes the following, ‘What is the world to  me! My Jesus is my Treasurer. My Life, my Health, my Wealth, My Friend, my Love, my Pleasure, My Joy my Crown my All, My Bliss eternally. Once more, then I declare: What is the world to me!” 2

Gracious Father, whose blessed Son Jesus Christ came down from heaven to be the true bread, which gives life to the world: Evermore give me this bread, that he may live in me, and I in him; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen 3

[1] Lutheran Study Bible © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St, Louis
[2] “What is the World to Me”, Stanza eight, The Lutheran Hymnal © 1943 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[3] Collect for the Fourth Sunday in Lent, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm



No comments: