Thursday, April 14, 2022

Maundy Thursday




MAUNDY THURSDAY, APRIL 14, 2022            Scripture Reading: John 13:1–17, 31b–35

Additional Scriptures: Exodus 12:1–14; Psalm 116:1–2, 12–19; 1 Corinthians 11:23–26


Peter gives voice to the scandal of Jesus’ actions. “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” When Jesus says that Peter will understand later what he is doing, Peter objects even more strongly: “You will never wash my feet.”We are reminded Peter’s objections in Mark’s Gospel when Jesus speaks of his impending suffering and death (Mark 8:32). Here, as in Mark, Jesus corrects Peter: “Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.” To which Peter responds, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!” (13:6-9).
O Lord, I am in need of a Shepherd to seek and save me, for I am a straying sheep. You are the Good Shepherd who seeks and saves the lost. Save me, O Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.
O Lord God, who hast left unto us in a wonderful Sacrament a memorial of Thy Passion, grant, we beseech Thee, that we may so use this Sacrament of Thy body and blood that the fruits of Thy redemption may continually be manifest in us.
Almighty Father, whose dear Son, on the night before He suffered, instituted the Sacrament of His Body and Blood: Mercifully grant that we may receive it thankfully in remembrance of Jesus Christ our Lord, who in these holy mysteries gives us a pledge of eternal life; and who now lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen [2]


[1] M Thursday copyright © Ed Riojas Higher Things

No comments: