Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday of Lent 2


All Praise To Thee My God This Night – Lutheran Service Book #883
Psalm 91; Psalm 92:1-2; Psalm 4:8

Forgive me, Lord for Thy dear Son
For ill that I this day have done,
That with the world, myself, and thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.

After praising God for the blessings of the day our hymn writer next makes confession of sin. What started with the acknowledgment of praise turns quickly to confession.  The “for” in the first line here is ambiguous, but the most natural reading is that we plead forgiveness for the sake of the name of Jesus.  

Lord Jesus Christ, when tempted by the devil, You remained true to Your Father, who commanded His angels to watch over You. Guard Your Church from the plague of sin, so that we may remain faithful to You until the day when we enjoy the fullness of Your salvation; for You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and forever.[1]


[1] For All the Saints, Collect for Psalm 91; © 1994 The American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, Delhi, NY

No comments: