Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday after Ash Wednesday

Beautiful Savior Lutheran Service Book #537
Hebrews 1:1-13; John 1:1-4; Luke 1:30-33; John 12:46



Beautiful Savior, King of Creation,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Truly, I’d love thee, Truly, I’d serve Thee,
Light of my soul, my joy, my crown.

So, who is Jesus? From our study of the scriptures we confess and believe that He is “true God; begotten of the Father from eternity and also true man, born of the virgin Mary”. He is my Lord. That’s how Luther in his catechism explains it.  Jesus explains in John, twelve, that He came into the world as a light. He came as a light to men. In being that true light, the one who believes in Him should not remain in darkness. In Him was life. And that life was the light of all mankind. (John 1:4)

Light is a common theme in John’s Gospel. “Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going.”  (John 12:35)  “While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” (John 9:5) Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12) In Lent, our focus is on Jesus, the light of the world. His life He offers to you. 

Almighty God, whom to know is everlasting life, grant us perfectly to know Your Son, Jesus Christ, to be the way, the truth, and the life, that following His steps we may steadfastly walk in the way that leads to eternal life; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord.[1]




[1]Lutheran Service Book, Collect For a right knowledge of Christ; © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: