Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday after Ash Wednesday


In the Cross of Christ I Glory LSB 427
Galatians 2:20; 6:14



In the cross of Christ I glory,
Tow’ring o’er the wrecks of time.
All the light of sacred story
Gathers round its head sublime.

The new life of the child of God is a life lived by faith. St. Paul reminds us, “It is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me." The life I now live, I live by faith. This is all made possible because of the remarkable love of Jesus, the Son of God. He demonstrated His great love for us, by giving himself up for us.

Martin Luther reminds us, true Christian righteousness is the righteousness of Christ who lives in me. We must look away from our own person. Christ and my conscience must become one. So that I can see nothing else but Christ crucified and raised from the dead for me. If I keep looking at myself, I am gone.

If we lose sight of Christ and begin to consider our past, we simply go to pieces. We must turn our eyes to the brazen serpent; Christ crucified, and believe with all our heart that He is our righteousness and our life. For Christ, on whom our eyes are fixed, in whom we live, who lives in us, is Lord over Law, sin, death, and all evil. As long as I abide in Christ, nothing can hurt me.[1]

Blessed Lord, You have caused all Holy Scriptures to be written for our learning. Grant that we may so hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them that, by patience and comfort of Your holy Word, we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. [2]



[1] Martin Luther’s Commentary on Galatians online edition www.studylight.org/com/mlg/view.cgi?book=ga&chapter=2&verse=20
[2] Lutheran Service Book, Collect for Grace to receive the Word © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: