Friday, April 5, 2019

Friday of Lent 4




Friday of Lent 4 – April 5, 2019 – Psalm 27:1


The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
These words from the Psalmist have been chosen by some of our youth as an appropriate confirmation verse. They speak of the Lord’s guidance throughout out life.
The words of these choice verses are David’s triumphant confidence in God to deliver him from all those who conspire to bring him down. His prayer presupposes the Lord’s covenant with David. David’s confidence in his Lord introduces the prayer David will pray in verses 7-12. The conclusion of the prayer (verses 13-14) echoes the confidence of verses 1-6 and asks the reader to wait patiently for that which is sure although not y et seen.
The Lord is my light. He is your source of life. That is, He guides and leads you. Darkness is the emblem of distress, trouble, perplexity, and sorrow. Light is the emblem of the opposite of these. As the God of salvation you can trust Him. 
The Lord is the strength of my life - The support of my life. Or, in other words, He keeps me alive. In itself life is feeble, and is easily crushed out by trouble and sorrow; but as long as God is its strength, there is nothing to fear.
Of whom shall I be afraid? - No one has power to take life away while He defends me. God is to those who put their trust in Him a stronghold or fortress, and they are safe.
 O God, Ruler of the angels and of all creatures, send forth Thine Angel to encamp round about us, that we, being guarded by His protection, may be delivered from the most evil death of sin; through the same, our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with Thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen.[1]

 O God, You have given us the good news of Your abounding love in Your Son Jesus Christ: So fill our hearts with thankfulness that we may rejoice to proclaim the good tidings we have received; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives, and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen[2]




[1]© 2005 Lutheran Liturgical Prayer Brotherhood

No comments: