Friday, April 19, 2019

Good Friday




G Friday – April 19, 2019 – Psalm 22:1

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?


These words were spoken by Jesus from the cross… The psalm expressed profound loneliness. God seems completely absent. Jesus quotes from this verse on the cross (See Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34) as He paid the penalty of human sin. It has been said this psalm is the whole passion of Christ.

These words are words that capture what is perhaps the greatest fear of people who love God – the thought that the God they love and in whom they trust would one day forget them, abandon them, turn His back to them in their time of greatest need. And that is precisely the experience of Jesus on the cross. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” The cup which the night before Jesus had asked to be taken from him – Jesus was on the cross drinking fully. God withdrew from Jesus so that he wouldn’t have to withdraw from us. It is God’s separation from Jesus that draws us near to him. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” The Father made Him who had no sin to be sin for us…



Almighty God, Graciously behold this Your family for whom our Lord Jesus was willing to be betrayed and delivered into the hands of sinful men to suffer death upon the cross; through the same Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.[1]





[1] Collect for Good Friday Lutheran Service Book © 20016 Concordia Publishing House, St, Louis

No comments: