Friday, March 8, 2019

Friday after Ash Wednesday



Friday after Ash Wednesday – March 8, 2019 – Psalm 23:1

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 [1]

Sheep cannot do one thing to provide for themselves. They need a shepherd who will provide for them. Of themselves, they can do nothing. They are lost, confused and would soon be destroyed without Him. Thus the Good Shepherd will provide for all that we need to support our body and life; both physical but especially spiritual necessities.

When the Christian considers that God is his shepherd, he can boldly say, “I shall not want!” We need not fear. We don’t have to worry about starving; God upon finding us supplies all our needs. We have Him as our feeder. More is implied than is expressed in this little phrase. Not only can David say: “I shall not want”, but also, "I shall be supplied with whatever I need. If I have not everything I desire, I may conclude it is either not fit for me or not good for me currently or I shall have it in due time."

David, a king of his own right acknowledges that the Lord is his Shepherd-King. Jesus, who suffered and died on Calvary’s cross, has become our good shepherd. We walk with Him as we observe His Passion. We need not worry about being in want. To the contrary, we will enjoy goodness and mercy each day of our lives. As we begin the discipline of Lent walk with the Good Shepherd. -He guides and directs your path.

We beseech Thee, O Lord God, to turn Thy face from our sins, and to blot out all our transgressions; and as the publican, who stood afar off, was heard in his humility, so hear us not for our own merits, but for the merits of Him who, being co-equal with Thee, His Father, yet for our sake took upon Him the form of a servant, our Lord Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with Thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen [2] 

Support us, O Lord, with Your gracious favor through the fast we have begun; that as we observe it by bodily self-denial, so we may fulfill it with inner sincerity of heart; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.[3] 

1 Jesus the Good Shepherd © Google Images
2 © 2005 Lutheran Liturgical Prayer Brotherhood
 3 Collect for Friday after Ash Wednesday, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm


No comments: