Saturday, March 19, 2016

Saturday, March 19, 2016



Saturday, March 19, 2016                  Forgive Us Our Trespasses              



For if, you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.  Matthew 6:14-15

Have you ever been untreated unfairly by someone? Of course you have, everyone on the face of the earth has. Sometimes the act they committed against you was so bad that it seems impossible to forgive them. In fact, we would probably rather get them back in revenge then forgive them. You know the saying: “Don’t get mad - get even’!”  When I was assigned this verse, I looked at the verse and realized something I hadn’t noticed before – if you do not forgive men their sins your heavenly Father will not forgive your sins.

Reading this verse, I realized that if I want God to forgive my sins I had better forgive those that have sinned against me. For this reason, we need our Lord’s help in forgiving others. We’ve all had to cry out to God at some point in our lives saying, “What did I do to deserve this punishment?”, or “They’re the ones doing wrong not me!”, or even “Why me Lord, why me?”  Yet I have learned through my life that God created the earth, died on the cross, and rose again on Easter morning. Also, God knows what He is doing with my life and your life. Everything happens for a reason – most likely to test your faith and hopefully the outcome will strengthen your faith.

The next time you find it hard to forgive a person for whatever kind of wrong they did to you, do not do what most people do by trying to get even (it never works) rather, read this verse and remember with God’s help we can forgive.[1]

O Lord, in your goodness you bestow abundant graces on your elect: Look with favor, we entreat you, upon those who in these Lenten days are being prepared for you Holy Baptism, and grant them the help of your protection; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen[2]

Lord Jesus, help us to pray Your prayer; “Father forgive them…”



[1] Henry Dahling
[2] Collect for Saturday of Lent 5,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: