Sunday, March 7, 2010

Life through the Son

Genesis 44:1-17
Romans 8:1-10
March 7, 2010

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself. And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man. "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. 30By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me. - John 5:24-30

Whoever hears the word has everlasting life and doesn’t come into judgment. Instead we pass from death to life. Those who are dead will hear the Son and those who will live will hear. The Father has life in Himself and the Son also has life in Himself. He, Jesus, the Son of man and the Son of God has the authority to execute judgment. Those who are in their graves will hear His voice. The will of the Father was to send His own Son to judge our righteousness.


Carissa Schultz

O God, whose glory it is always to have mercy, be gracious to all who have gone astray from Your ways and bring them again with penitent hearts and steadfast faith to embrace and hold fast the unchangeable truth of Your Word; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.


Collect for the Third Sunday in Lent Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House St. Louis

No comments: