Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Claims of Jesus About Himself

Exodus 3:16-4:12
Romans 12:1-12
March 21, 2010


The Jews answered him, "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?" "I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." At this the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?" Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. 56Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad." "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!" "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds. - John 8:48-59

Jesus did not want to give glory to himself, but only to his father in heaven.
Jesus was trying to make it clear to the Jews that he was of God and he did as his father had told him. The Jews had no understanding of this and wanted to kill Jesus. They were afraid of him and thought he was trying to take over there earthly kingdom.
We should also honor him. Of course, we should give honor to our earthly father but so much more important that we give honor to our heavenly father.
“If anyone keeps my word, He will never taste death” We will live forever, not on earth but in heaven. What a true glory that we will experience when we finally get to heaven.
Have you ever imagined what a wonderful place heaven would be? Whenever you read about heaven it is described in detail as so glorious, the music, the sights. It sounds so wonderful that anyone on earth cannot truly understand what awaits us there.
What a real gift this will be for all believers.
Bonnie Buuck

Almighty God, by Your great goodness mercifully look upon Your people that we may be governed and preserved evermore in body and soul; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

Collect for the Fifth Sunday in Lent Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House St. Louis

No comments: