Sunday, March 14, 2010

Jesus the Bread of Life

When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval." Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." So they asked him, "What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'" Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." "Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread." Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." -John 6:25-40

Jesus provides physical food to 5,000 hungry people. Some of them follow Him to Capernaum. He explains that they have come for more physical bread, but He would rather that they had spiritual food which comes from heaven, food for the soul. He then identifies Himself as the bread from heaven similar to the manna God sent to His people in the wilderness.

The disciples had gone alone in a boat across the Sea of Galilee and Jesus met them by walking on the water. Knowing that Jesus did not go with the disciples and yet He was with them, and only one boat was there – the people wondered how He got there. Jesus ignores their query and says they came for more bread rather than for the signs He performed. Jesus urges them not to work for physical bread but for spiritual food. This leads them to ask what the work of God is. Jesus replies that the world of God is to believe in Him. They ask for a sign that would persuade them to believe in Hid and refer to the manna received in the wilderness. Jesus assures them that God sent the bread from heaven, the bread that gives life to the world. Then they ask Him to give this kind of bread. He reveals that He is the Bread of Life. Whoever comes to Him and believes in Him will never hunger nor thirst.

Jesus means “life” as more than human existence. One can live daily without having life in terms of quality. As the bread of life Jesus has something to offer that makes existence worthwhile and a life that has no ending in spit of physical death.

Almighty God, our heavenly Father, Your mercies are new every morning; and though we deserve only punishment, You receive us as Your children and provide for all our needs of body and soul. Grant that we may heartily acknowledge Your merciful goodness, give thanks for all Your benefits, and serve You in willing obedience; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, One God, now and forever.

Lectionary Preaching Workbook Series B John Brokhoff © 1981 CSS Publishing, Lima, OH
Collect for the Fourth Sunday in Lent Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House St. Louis

No comments: