Saturday, April 8, 2017

Saturday of Lent 5

Saturday of Lent 5, April 8, 2017     Psalm 143: 9a, 10a, 18:48a,c      
     

Psalm 143:9-10 English Standard Version (ESV)

9 Deliver me from my enemies, O LORD!
    I have fled to you for refuge![a]
10 Teach me to do your will,
    for you are my God!

The psalmist pleads for God’s mercy, admitting that neither he nor anyone else can stand before God’s judgment. He trust in God’s righteousness and in His name, not his own. This penitential psalm is a profound description of a repentant heart, which receives God’s grace. The psalmist, giving up on himself, trusts God’s steadfast love.  1

David had reached the end of the line; no more reserve or resources (Vv.3-4). But in a desperate situation one refuge remains: God Himself (Vv.5-12). “O Lord…teach me…deliver me…lead me…bring me out of trouble

O Lord, in your goodness you bestow abundant graces on your elect: Look with favor, we entreat you, upon those who in these Lenten days are being prepared for you Holy Baptism, and grant them the help of your protection; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen 2




[1] Lutheran Study Bible, © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[2] Collect for Saturday of Lent 5,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
Luther’s Seal © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

No comments: