Friday, April 7, 2017

Friday of Lent 5



Friday of Lent 5, April 7, 2017 Psalm 43:3-4    
                    

Psalm 43:3-4 English Standard Version (ESV)

3 Send out your light and your truth;
    let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
    and to your dwelling!
4 Then I will go to the altar of God,
    to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
    O God, my God.

God is the source of all light and truth, which come to Him as gifts. Jesus is the incarnate light (See John 8:12; Psalm 27:1) and truth (see John 14:6) God who is present everywhere mercifully locates Himself with His people.  1

Why do we pray that the will of God be done? We know that the will of God will always be done, but we want God’s good and gracious will to be done in our lives. 2


As His name must be hallowed and His kingdom come whether we pray or not, so also His will must be done and succeed. This is true even though the devil with all his followers raise a great riot, are angry and rage against it, and try to exterminate the Gospel completely. But for our own sake we must pray that, even against their fury, His will be done without hindrance among us also. We pray so that they may not be able to accomplish anything and that we may remain firm against all violence and persecution and submit to God’s will.” (Large Catechism III 68)

Your altar! Your Supper! There, I receive you, Jesus! Your Body given for me. Your Blood shed for me for all my sins. You feed me, You give me life, your forgiveness, in the Sacrament.

Salvation is found in no one else other than You, Jesus. Judge me, vindicate me, save me, in your Blood. Your Blood shed for me on the Cross. Your Blood put into me in the Sacrament of the Altar.

You are the God of my strength. You have saved Me. You vindicate me. In you, I have put my hope to live today. You will carry me through today —not for me, but for those around me. I can do them some good, or even better, you can do them some good for one more day. In you, I have put my trust. Let me not be put to shame. Glory be to Jesus. In the name of Jesus. Amen. 3

O Lord, you relieve our necessity out of the abundance of your great riches: Grant that we may accept with joy the salvation you bestow, and manifest it to all the world by the quality of our lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives, and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen  4
___________
[1] Lutheran Study Bible, © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[2] Why do we pray that the will of God be done? Luther’s Small Catechism, © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

[4] Collect for Friday of Lent 5, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
Luther’s Seal © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

No comments: