Thursday, December 29, 2016

David


Today the church commemorates King David, who despite his own sin always sought the mercy of God. 

Have mercy upon me, O god, according to thy loving kindness, according unto the multitude of they tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions; and my sins is ever before me. Against thee, thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight; that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou has t broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation;l and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

from Psalm 51

Woodcuts by Baron Julius Schnoor von Carolsfeld © WELS

No comments: