Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Wednesday of Lent 1




Wednesday of Lent 1, March 8, 2017       Psalm 91:1-2

Psalm 91:1-2 English Standard Version (ESV)
My Refuge and My Fortress

91 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say[a] to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”

These metaphors depict the sure defense found in the Lord God. The shadow is not ominous, but comforting as that of the shadow of a mother bird’s wing. Four names for God correspond to the metaphors, and each gives the basis for the strong confession of faith in God’s protection. “Almighty” and “Most High” especially depict God’s incomparable power over any threat or danger.   1

Why are there evil and suffering in the world? Evil and suffering are in the world because of sin. But in the suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God has demonstrated His power over sin and death. God in His almighty power and love causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him. 2

We do not trust in ourselves. We place our confidence in Christ. Christ is our refuge or fortress, our sure defense. The hymn verses reminds us, “Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee…All my trust on Thee is stayed…Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.” 3 

Bless us, O God, in this holy season, in which our hearts seek your help and healing; and so purify us by your discipline that we may grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen. 4

[1] Lutheran Study Bible © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[2] Why is there evil and suffering in this world? 1st Article of the Apostles’ Creed, Luther’s Small Catechism,  © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis 
[3] Jesus Lover of My Soul, stanza two, The Lutheran Hymnal © 1943 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[4] Collect for Wednesday of Lent 1,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
Luther’s Seal © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

No comments: