The Introit for this coming Sunday is taken
from
David does not appeal to his own
goodness or righteousness, however, but explicitly confesses that no one living
is righteous before the Lord. Therefore, he must beg the mercy of the Lord: In
your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!
We get the sense that David is in
desperate times. Without the Lord’s defense he has nothing. Thus he can say, “I
flee unto thee to hide me.” David can literally declare, “I have hid my
affairs, and troubles, my difficulties and all my necessities. I have revealed
them unto You, who alone can save.”
This is how we, too, must
approach the Lord when we ask Him
to rescue us from earthly and spiritual enemies—acknowledging, as we do in the
catechism, that we
daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment, and acknowledging that He delivers us purely
out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in
me.
The hymn writer reminds us
Other refuge have I none;
hangs my helpless soul on thee;
leave, ah! leave me not alone,
still support and comfort me.
All my trust on thee is stayed,
all my help from thee I bring;
cover my defenseless head
with the shadow of thy wing [1]
No comments:
Post a Comment