Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Wednesday of Lent 4


DAY 25: March 17, 2021 Wednesday of Lent 4- Matthew 6: 9-13
St. Patrick’s Day

Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” –Matthew 6:9-13 

I was once asked, “Why do we always pray the Lord’s Prayer?” My thought, ‘Well, it is the Lord’s Prayer!’ The disciples asked Jesus, “Lord, teach us to pray.” Jesus responded by simply saying, “Pray then like this…” 



This prayer has been uttered by Christians for over two-thousand years. It’s a simple prayer yet the most significant and profound prayers ever taught. This prayer, The Lord’s Prayer, is the Third Chief Part Luther’s Catechism. Luther said it must be taught, “As the head of the family should teach them in a simple way to his household.”  

Most of us learned this prayer at home. It was taught to us by godly parents and grandparents. This prayer is a part of our school’s curriculum. Our pre-kindergarten students learn this prayer right after they return from Christmas break. It is a joy to pray with them when we meet for kinder-chapel each week. This is a prayer they will use throughout their lives. “Why do we always pray the Lord’s Prayer?” It is the prayer our Lord has taught us. He bids us to pray it often in sincerity and faith. 

Today happens to be St. Patrick’s Day.  Patrick is remembered as the fifth Century missionary to the people of Ireland and was probably partly responsible for the Christianization of Anglo-Saxons. His hymn has been widely published and has gained popularity in recent years recognized as a hymn with depth. It has made it into our Lutheran Service Book hymnal, “I Bind unto Myself Today the strong name of the Trinity.”

The following prayer is attributed to Patrick:

Christ be with me, Christ be before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie, Christ when I sit.
Christ be in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every ear that hears me

O Lord our God, You sustained Your people in the wilderness with bread from heaven: Feed now Your pilgrim flock with the food that endures to eternal life; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen [2]

Almighty and ever-living God as You used Patrick to teach the people of Ireland the truth of the eternal Trinity so make us faithful in all matters of teaching and godly living to the praise and honor of Your most holy name. [3]

__________
[1] The Trinity copyright © Ed Riojas Higher Things
[2]Collect for Wednesday of Lent 4, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm
[3] Collect for Patrick © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: