Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday, March 23, 2009 Healing a Gentile Woman’s Daughter Mark 7:24




Each day I find myself saying many prayers. Some are simple “Get me through this minute” prayers. Some are more structured meditations, like saying the Lord’s Prayer or Luther’s Morning Prayer. Some are heartfelt pleas for help, for strength, for patience. I mean every word of what I say. But sometimes I do catch my mind wandering, even as I ask the Lord for help. I find myself distracted, not really sure that he is listening, much less that he will really answer. I find a kernel of doubt creeping in to weaken my faith.

God has given each of us the wonderful gift of being able, in faith, to ask him for anything we want. He has promised that we will receive anything we ask for: “Concerning the work of my hands, command me.” (Isaiah 45:11) and “I will do anything you ask in my name” (John 14:13).

What God asks of us is total focus and belief that He will listen to us, He will answer our prayers. Like the woman in the miracle, we must simply continue to let Him know our needs. Continue to ask for His help. Continue to have faith that He will answer. And He will.

Lord, thank you for giving me the privilege of coming to You in prayer. Help me, today, to have faith that you will answer me, that you will fill all my needs.


-Shirley Drier




Schnorr von Carolsfeld, woodcuts © WELS Permission to use these copyrighted items is limited to personal and congregational use.

No comments: