Friday, March 6, 2015

Jesus feeds 4,000



3.6.2015 Friday of Lent 2          Mark 8:1-21 Jesus feeds 4,000 and the yeast of the Pharisees
Jesus feeds 4,000

Jesus’ compassion moves Him to feed another hungry crowd by means of a second miraculous multiplication of bread. When Jesus confronts the disciples with feeding the crowds for a second time, they again fail to see His power provides the way forward. How slowly we sometimes responds in faith! Yet how graciously Jesus continues to provide both with His Word of forgiveness and with daily bread. He fully satisfies our bodies and souls.[2]

A review of the Catechism will help us recall and remember that God our heavenly Father supplies us with all that we need every single day.

Concerning the First Article of the Apostles’ Creed. “I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and souls, eyes, ears, and all my limbs, my reason and all my senses, and still preserves them; in addition thereto, clothing and shoes, meat and drink, house and homestead wife and children, fields, cattle, and all my goods; that He provides me richly and daily with all that I need to support this body and life, protects me from all danger, and guards me and preserves me from all evil; and all this out of pure, fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me; for all which I owe it to Him to thank, praise, serve, and obey Him. This is most certainly true.”

From the Fourth Petition of the Lord’s Prayer – “Give us this day our daily bread.”

What does this mean? Answer: God gives daily bread, even without our prayer, to all wicked men; but we pray in this petition that He would lead us to know itr, and to receive our daily bread with thanksgiving.

What is meant by daily bread? Answer: Everything that belongs to the support and wants of the body, such as meat, drink, clothing, shoes, house, homestead, field, cattle, money, goods, a pious spouse, pious children, pious servants, pious and faithful magistrates, good government, good weather, peace, health. Discipline, honor, good friends, faithful neighbors, and the like.

Grant, O Lord, that as your Son Jesus Christ prayed for His enemies on the cross, so we may have grace to forgive those who wrongfully or scornfully use us, that we ourselves may be able to receive your forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.[3]



[1] Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS permission granted for personal and congregational use
[2] Lutheran Study Bible, © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[3] Collect for Friday of Lent 2,  ,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: