Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Jews Continue in Their Unbelief

Daniel 9:3-10
Hebrews 2:10-18
February 21, 2010

Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. Then Jesus cried out, “When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. “As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.” - John 12:37, 44-50


Disturbing isn’t it? “Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous sings in their presence they still would not believe.” Miracles in and of themselves will not produce faith. Works and wonders as spectacular as they may be will not produce trust and confidence. Herod was delighted at the opportunity to see Jesus, because he had heard about him and had been hoping for a long time to see him perform a miracle - he returned Jesus back to Pilate to have the Savior executed. What convincing proof is necessary to create faith? The person who listens to the voice of the Savior and keeps His word is found in Him. Jesus equated belief in Him with belief in God (cf. John 14:1; 1Jn 2:23). The Father and the Son are inseparable; though they are two personalities, they work as one being. Jesus spoke of the Father as the one who had sent Him. Jesus is the light that illumines the darkness of those who are missing from the Father’s table.

O Lord God, You led Your ancient people through the wilderness and brought them to the promised land. Guide the people of Your church that following our Savior we may walk through the wilderness of this world toward the glory of the world to come; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. [1]
[1] Collect for the First Sunday in Lent Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House St. Louis

No comments: