Thursday, February 18, 2010

Jesus prays for Himself and His disciples

Habakkuk 3:1-18
Philippians 3:12-21
February 18, 2010

After Jesus said this, he looked towards heaven and prayed: Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. - John 17:1-8
Have you noticed that the Bible is packed full of prayers? Today’s scripture is Jesus’ prayer to the Father for Himself and for His disciples before He was arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane. We are to follow Jesus’ example and know that we can pray to our Lord for all things and at all times. God will always answer our prayers; however, it’s not always the answer we are looking for. God knows our needs and what is best for us. We need to pray and then watch and wait for God’s answer and glorify Him at all times.

Lord,
As I sit here day by day,
Be ever in my mind I pray.,
Make me joyful, make me sure
Of Your promises that endure.
God, You’re awesome! And You’re wise!
Make me see life through Your eyes.
Thank You, Father, God above.
Thank You, Jesus, for Your love
Thank You, Spirit, for Your power
And the pace You send this hour.

Alex Miller

O Lord, mercifully receive the prayers of Your people who call upon You, and grant that they may know and understand the things they ought to do and also may have grace and strength to accomplish them; through Jesus Christ Your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen[1]

[1] Collect for Sixth Sunday after the Epiphany Lutheran Worship © 1980 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: