Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Wednesday of Lent 3

Wednesday of Lent 3 – March 18, 2020 – John 19:5
 
[1]
Jesu, who for me didst die,
Livest now forever.
When my hour of death draws nigh,
Let me waver never.
May I e’er to Thee be turned,
O my faithful Savior!
Give me but what Thou hast earned,
More I do not pray for. [2]  

Behold Him who will hold us in death. When my hour of death draws nigh, Let me waver never. Each must face death. “It is appointed for man once to die and after that face judgment.” -Hebrews 9:72 Death is a curse, which sinful humans have brought upon themselves. “The soul that sins it shall die.” - Ezekiel 18;4,20

Yet we can face death confidently in Jesus. Because Christ defeated death by His own death we can now see death as a gate, which leads to eternal life. When facing our own demise terrors of conscience may seize us. Only Christ can keep us faithful. “Be Thou faithful until death and I will give Thee the crown of life.” - Revelation 2:10

Behold him who will receive us into His glory. Our hymn concludes: “Give me but what Thou has earned, More I do not pray for.”

What has Christ earned? We now have peace with God. We are given access to the Father’s throne - room of grace. We have received forgiveness from all sin. We’ve been given the hope of heaven with mansions glorious.

With all these gifts what more do we need? The Christian can now be content. There is nothing lacking for Christ has the sufficiency to supply us with all that we may ever need.

Give ear to our prayers, O Lord, and direct the way of Your servants in safety under your protection, that, amid all the changes of our earthly pilgrimage, we may be guarded by Your mighty aid; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen. [3]
________________
1. Image: Jesus carries his cross, Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS for personal and congregational use
2.  From Bach’s St. John Passion 
3.  Collect for Wednesday of Lent 3,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: