Friday, March 20, 2020

Friday of Lent 3


Friday of Lent 3 – March 20, 2020 – Galatians 6:14

We sing the praise of Him who died,
    Of Him who died upon the cross.
The sinner’s hope let all deride;
    For this we count the world but loss.[1] 

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” – Galatians 6:14

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me.” – Galatians 2:20 

When Christ died, you died. The glorious meaning of the death of Christ is that when He died, all His own died in Him. That death, that He died for us all, becomes our death when we are united to Christ by faith.

When Christ died on the cross, you died. As you trusted Him, that death took effect in your life. Paul says it’s your death to the world and the world’s death to you. God connects you to His Son by faith.  When He does this, there is a union with the Son of God so that His death becomes your death and His life becomes your life.

Grant us, O Lord our Strength, to have a True Love of Your Holy Name; so that, trusting in Your grace, we may fear no earthly evil, nor fix our hearts on earthly goods, but may rejoice in Your full salvation; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen. [2]
_________________
1. We Sing the Praise of Him Who Died, Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
2. Collect for Friday of Lent 3,   http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: