Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday - Psalm 22:1-21



Almighty God, grant that in the midst of our failure and weakness we may be restored through the passion and intercession of Your only-begotten Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen

THE TERRIBLE REALITY OF CALVARY
This psalm of David could be called "The Psalm of The Cross", as much of the suffering described in it was literally fulfilled in the crucifixion of Jesus Christ (though it may also relate to sufferings experienced by David). Where the four gospel writers provide a description of Jesus' sufferings from the viewpoint of witnesses, this messianic psalm reveals His suffering from the viewpoint of Jesus Himself. The psalm begins with a cry that was uttered by Jesus on the cross

A. Written 1,000 years before it was fulfilled.

B. Divided into Cross (1-21) & Crown (22- 31); Gloom & Glory.

C. Psalm 22 - Good Shepherd - Jn.10:11- I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. - The Cross gives life

D. Psalm 23 - Great Shepherd -Heb.13:20 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep. Crook -Raised.

E. Psalm 24 - Chief Shepherd - I Pet.5:4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away - Crown - Glorified

F. The Virgin womb opened & gave us - GOOD SHEPHERD.

G. The Virgin Tomb opened & gave us -GREAT SHEPHERD.

H. The Virgin Skies will open & give - CHIEF SHEPHERD.

I. Here we have the Yesterday, Today, & Forever of Christ.

1. He was forsaken by the Father. (1-5) My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent. Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. [a] In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed.

2. He was plagued by sin. (6) But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people.

3. He was scorned by sinners. (7) All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads.

4. He was tormented by demons. (12) Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.

5. He was affected by nature. (15) My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me [b] in the dust of death.

6. He was pierced by soldiers. (16-18) Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced [c] my hands and my feet.17 I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. 18 They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.

7. He was pursued by the devil. (21) Rescue me from the mouth of the lions; save [d] me from the horns of the wild oxen.

8. He was rejected by the Jews. (8) "He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him."

THE CRY & COMPLAINT OF CHRIST. Vv1, 2 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent is fulfilled in Jesus at the cross. (Mt. 27:46)

A. Not because of suffering & pain.

B. Not because of the rejection of the Jews.

C. Not because of the fear of His followers.

D. Not because of the betrayal of Judas.

E. Not because of the denial of Peter.

F. Not because of the mocking of the crowd.

G. Not because of the scourging of Pilate.


THE COMPLIMENT & COMFORT OF CHRIST. Vv3-5 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. [a] In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed.

A. He knew God was Holy....It was right.

B. He knew God could not be unholy, unjust, or unkind.

This is why this holy night is called “Good Friday” for in the suffering, passion, and death of Christ we receive forgiveness, life, salvation. O Christ Thou Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world have mercy upon us and grant us Thy peace.

Schnorr von Carolsfeld, woodcuts © WELS Permission to use these copyrighted items is limited to personal and congregational use.

No comments: