Sunday, April 21, 2024

Earth Day


 22 April each year is traditionally recognized as Earth Day in which we are encouraged to be good stewards of the resources the LORD has given to us. The charge given to Adam and Eve was to be caretakers of the planet and all of its natural resources. 

As Christians Earth Day should reminds us that the LORD has created this vast universe for us to thrive and enjoy as the first article of the Apostles' Creed teaches.  I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heave and and earth.  

What does this mean? I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them. He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life. He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from all evil. All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him

The first article of the Apostles' Creed declares that Christians believe, teach and confess that the one, true God is none other than the One who has made the heavens and the earth, and everything in them. But more than that, He is our Father who provides and cares for us as a father cares for his beloved children.

We believe that He has made us and has given us all the good things we have in this life. This He has done purely out of the love He has for us as our Father. He not only gives us life, He also defends us, guards us, and protects us during this life, so that we will join Him in heaven for all eternity. There is nothing in us that makes us worthy of the good things God gives us. It is all from His love as a father. How glorious it is to know that the same God who created heaven and earth also created each one us and cares for us personally.

A prayer for agriculture:  Almighty God, You bless the earth to make it fruitful, bringing forth in abundance whatever is needed for the support of our lives. Prosper, we implore you, the work of farmers, and grant us seasonable weather that we may gather the fruits of the earth and proclaim your goodness with thanksgiving; through Jesus Christ our LORD.  


Sources: Luther's Small Catechism and Collect for Agriculture  Lutheran Service Book copyright 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis 

No comments: