Nothing will stand in His Way
How willing is the Savior to help His own? Such a question is asked even of the most pious and devout believer. Is the Savior able to come to me when I need Him the most? When I call will He answer? Is my circumstance too bleak even for Jesus? The answer to these pressing questions is answered in our text for this day. When it comes to the Savior helping His own nothing will deter Him – not even death! Let’s see how the cruel world reacts…
I. People’s opinions – Your daughter is dead! V.35
A. This is the only way in which the world perceives reality.
1. That there are certain challenges which not even Jesus can help. Who could bring someone back from the dead?
2. If it’s believed that Jesus cannot help – then their statement is correct – “why trouble the Master?”
B. Yet, how the world perceives reality may be deceiving.
1. God’s masks – Is God working in your life right now? Are you able to sense his presence and see all the ways he’s active in blessing you? Can you see him guiding your efforts for his good purposes?
I wouldn’t blame you at all if you said no. It’s one of the surprising things about God. For all of his power, his glory, and the ways he promises to work in our lives, he mostly remains hidden. He doesn’t let us see him directly, and his work is often concealed behind other people and other things.
Possibly you don’t sense God’s presence. Maybe it’s difficult to see how he’s blessing you and guiding your efforts for his good purposes. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t there. He’s all over the place! He just prefers to stay hidden most of the time. He hides behind masks as he does his wonderful work. He’s working through the people all around you.
He’s working through you. His power is seen in weakness; when we are brought low it is Christ who raises us up.
2. Why trouble the Master? When tempted to give up and give in it is then that we need to seek Christ where He can be found. Instead of telling the Savior about your storm – tell your storm how big you Savior is.
Transition: People’s opinion will not deter Jesus from helping – nor will people ridicule and scorn.
II. Ridicule – They laughed at Him V.40
A. They laugh because Jesus confronted their world view.
1. That man is in control at all times and in every circumstance. Yet the circumstances surrounding this family prove the opposite. The young girl grew weaker and weaker until she died. The woman battling a prolonged and protracted illness; had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse. V.27
2. That fact trumps faith. This is why they laughed. In their mind no one could restore her. Her time of grace was over.
B. They laugh because they really didn’t believe.
1. That Jesus could intervene.
2. That Jesus could cure and heal.
3. That Jesus was the Christ.
Transition: We cry to Jesus to help in every desperate situation. He will come to us without fail – even when death’s grim reality says otherwise.
III. Death’s stark reality – I say to you arise! V.41
A. Jesus swallowed up death by His own death and resurrection. Because of the cross and empty tomb we are Easter People! Listen to how Mark describes it later on in his gospel account!
When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons. She went and told those who had been with him and who were mourning and weeping. When they heard that Jesus was alive and that she had seen him, they did not believe it. Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country. These returned and reported it to the rest; but they did not believe them either. Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. Mark 16:9-11
B. Death is so limited…
It has not shattered hope,
It has not corroded faith,
It has not eaten away peace,
Nor destroyed confidence.
It has not shut out memories,
It has not silenced courage,
It has not invaded the soul,
Nor reduced eternal life.
It cannot, has not,
Nor will not lessen the power of the resurrection!
When we cry to Jesus for help in a desperate situation, He comes to us without fail!
Readability – 80.7%
Reading Level -4.7