Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday, March 29, 2009 – 5th Sunday of Lent – John 12:20-33



When I first read this Bible passage, I didn’t understand it. I struggled, trying to write about something that I didn’t comprehend. Then, I asked my brother to read it aloud to me, and I got it. I had an epiphany, a revelation! I told him, “If sudden knowledge had an impending force, I would be a pancake right now.” This is my take on these verses…

When Jesus stats talking, he mentions a grain of wheat. I believe He is referring to Himself here, as the wheat. He says that until He dies, He is alone, meaning that Satan is winning, at the moment. But when He dies, He has beaten Satan. Next, He explains about following (serving) Him. This would be talking about heaven, being where Jesus is. I also think that the words, “My Father will honor him,” meaning the person who serves Jesus, is attributing to Revelation twenty-one, where the Bible talks about the Book of Life, and his name will be in that book. “My soul is troubled” could be a parallel to “My God, My God, who have You forsaken Me?” which Jesus said on the cross. The next verses support this, saying that Jesus has come for this hour and will not ask to be saved from it. “Father, glorify Your name” would mean that Jesus will rise again, like a stage of exaltation.

Some say the voice thundered while others who heard the same say that it was the voice of any angel. This means God is both terrible and beautiful, somehow at the same time. Jesus says that the Voice came to warn us, not Him, that Jesus is going to die. “The ruler of this world will be cast out” means that Jesus will overcome Satan. Jesus concludes, “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to myself,” signifies that when he goes to heaven, He will bring all believers with Him. Through sacrifice comes glory.

Lord, I am so very sorry that You had to die for me, to be a grain of wheat, all alone until you died. Help me to understand what You went through to save me. Thank You for loving me so much.


-Alyssa Strickler

Schnorr von Carolsfeld, woodcuts © WELS Permission to use these copyrighted items is limited to personal and congregational use.

No comments: