April 21, 2000
Christ, Our Great High Priest
Introduction: The entire concept of a priest may have lost some of its significance for us since we no longer observe the sacrificial system of the Old Testament. But when the New Testament tells us that Jesus Christ is our Great High Priest this is wonderful news for us. Let’s see how Christ fulfills this important office for us.
I. Jesus Christ is a priest called by God.
A. In the Old Testament, God called priests. (5:4)
1. No one could usurp the office.
2. Priests were called of God, as was Aaron (Ex. 28)
B. God as the great High Priest designated Christ.
1. Christ did not glorify Himself (5:5)
2. The Father declared Him to be His eternal Son (5:5)
3. The Father declared Him to be a priest (5:6)
II. As priest, Christ offers Himself and obtained eternal redemption (5:9)
A. Priests offered up sacrifices for sins (5:1)