Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Dorcus


Acts 9:36-42

In Joppa Peter raised Dorcus from the dead, which led many to believe.  According to Jewish tradition, in preparation for burial, the custom common for both Jews and pagans was to wash the body prior to burial. It was customary to lay the body in an upper room. In Jerusalem, the body had to be buried the day the person died, but outside Jerusalem up to three days might be allowed for burial. 

Jesus had promised in John 12:12-14, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” Following the Savior’s command, Peter will address Aeneas by name and simply say, “Jesus Christ heals you.” (v.34) These words are the perfect brief interpretation of the nature of the mighty deed done by the apostles.  (see Romans 15:18-19)  As Jesus healed, the apostles will heal. As Jesus raised the dead, Peter will raise Dorcus from the dead. By these mighty acts, the words of the apostles match the message of Jesus.

Merciful and everlasting God the Father, who did not spare Your only Son but delivered Him up for us all that He might bear our sins on the cross, grant that our hearts may be so fixed with steadfast faith in our Savior that we may not fear the power of any adversaries; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. 

Collect for Wednesday in Holy Week, Lutheran Worship © 1980 Concordia Publishing House, St, Louis

No comments: