June 1, 2000
God is Alive in You
Introduction: Is God alive and active in your life? That is the question we will ask this evening? How can you tell, how can you know? We can know for sure that God is active and working in our lives because of the resurrection and the ascension of Jesus Christ.
As you scan the pages of the Scriptures we soon find that God is quite powerful. In six days, using just ten short phrases He brought the entire universe into existence! That is a mighty event which shows the awesome power of God. But the Resurrection and the Ascension of Jesus shows us even more power! Consider God's power and presence in your life…
1. In the Resurrection of Jesus Christ and His Ascension the power of God is shown.
A. God raised Jesus from the dead (Ephesians 1:20
1. To show His acceptance of the redemptive work of Christ (Romans 4:25)
2. As the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. (1 Corinthians 15:20)
B. God set Christ at His own right hand (Ephesians 1:20)
1. A place of honor and power above every power (v.21)
2. He put all things under His feet; Christ is conqueror over sin, death, and the Devil.
3. He is Head over all things in the church (Ephesians 1:22)
a. Christ dwells in each Christian and each Christian in Him
b. He intercedes for us (Hebrews 7:25)
c. He rules all things in heaven and on earth.
II. In the new life of the Christian
A. The Ephesians were manifesting the new life of faith and love (Ephesians 1:15)
B. Paul prays for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation (John 17:17)
1. That you may know Christ
2. That you many know the hope of His calling
3. That you may know the riches of the glory of His inheritance (Ephesians 1:18)
Conclusion: God is a God of power. How comforting to our faith that God's power raised Christ and gave Him glory. Through the Word and Sacraments God's Spirit continues to comfort us with Christ and our Christian hope.