Monday, January 18, 2021

Tuesday prior to Epiphany 3

 


Psalm 62—The key verse of this psalm is verse 8, I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well

The Psalmist commits himself to God when threatened by the assaults of conspirators who wish to dethrone him. Verse three suggests a time of weakness and may indicate advanced age. Implicitly the psalm is an appeal to God to uphold him. No psalm surpasses it in its expression of simple trust in God. The little Hebrew word אַךְ (’ak) begins six of the twelve verses; it is short, but significant, having the meaning “only.” “My soul finds rest only in God.” “He only is my rock and my salvation.” “Find rest, O my soul, only in God.”

The hymn writer expressed these thoughts in the following verse

Other refuge have I none;
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee.
Leave, ah, leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me!
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.[1]

Collect for Psalm 62: Lord God, in a constantly changing world we look to you as our rock and hope. Hear us as we pour out our hearts to you and give us your grace and secure protection; through Jesus Christ our Lord.[2]



[1] Jesus, Love of My Soul, The Lutheran Hymnal © 1940 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[2] Collect for Psalm 62, For All the Saints, A Prayer Book for and by the Church, © 1995The American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, Delhi, NY
Luther’s Seal copyright © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

 


No comments: