Sunday, January 10, 2021

Monday prior to Epiphany 2


 

Psalm 40:1-5—The Antiphon, is taken from Psalm 40:10, “I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of Your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal Your love and Your truth from the great assembly.” When speaking of the Lord, we must center our conversation on His faithfulness and salvation, which flows from righteousness.

The word Epiphany literally means, I see, I understand, I see the light, I get it! In Epiphany we “get it!” This Jesus whom we have worshipped at Christmas truly is the Son of God. By grace, through faith, by the Spirit’s aid we are brought to a right understanding of spiritual things; finally we “get it!”

When Jesus stood before Pilate we find an interesting interaction taking place. “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” –John 18:37

The "truth" of the Gospel, which came by Christ, was preached by him, which he bore witness to, to do which was his coming into the world.  This was not concealed by him, who is truth itself; but was fully and plainly declared by him. In this Epiphany season we will hear and witness Jesus’ claim to be “the way, the truth and the life.”  -John 14:6 The psalmist expresses how the child of God is given to respond; we speak of the Lord’s faithfulness and salvation, we gossip the gospel. The message of the Bible is always simple and clear, Christ came to save sinners. That message is proclaimed in the words of the introit for this coming Sunday.

Collect for Psalm 40: Lord Jesus Christ, you became obedient to death and your name was exalted above all others. Teach us always to do the Father’s will, so that, made holy by your obedience and united to your sacrifice, we can know your great love in times of sorrow and sing a new song to our God now and forever.[1]



[1] Collect for Psalm 40, For All the Saints, A Prayer Book for and By the Church, Vol.III © 1995 The American Lutheran  Publicity Bureau, Delhi, NY

Luther’s Seal copyright © Ed Riojas, Higher Things


No comments: