Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tuesday, March 15, 2016                          Our Daily Bread                            



Two things I ask of you, O LORD? Do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from  me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much, disown you, and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. Proverbs 30:7-9

Sometimes people who become full or blessed with riches are tempted to rely on these things rather than God. Conversely, poor people are sometimes tempted to steal. Either sin makes a mockery of God’s name.[1]

What does God want us to do for those who are unable to work for daily food? God does not want us to be selfish but to share with those who are unable to work and to include them in our prayers for daily bread. Why does Jesus have us say “this day” and “daily”? These words teach us not to be greedy or wasteful or to worry about the future but to live contentedly in the confidence that the lord will give us what we need.[2] 

Almighty God, through the incarnate Word you have caused us to be born anew of an imperishable and eternal seed: Look with compassion upon those who are being prepared for Holy Baptism, and grant that they may be built as living stones into a spiritual temple acceptable to you; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen [3]



[1] The Lutheran Study Bible, © 2009 Concordia Publishing House St. Louis, MO Pp.1045
[2] Luther’s Small Catechism, 4th Petition of the Lord’s Prayer © 2008 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[3] Collect for Tuesday of Lent 5, http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: