Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 12: Moses – Exodus 3



Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up.” When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!” And Moses said, “Here I am.” “Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” Then he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God. The LORD said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey—

Do we sometimes see what needs to be done, but approach it in the wrong way? I know I do. We say things that are not constructive or do things in the height of anger. In Exodus 2 Moses sees an Egyptian beating a fellow Hebrew. Moses’ heart goes out to this mistreated Israelite but seeing no one around he kills the Egyptian. The next day a fellow Hebrew accuses him of being a judge and ruler and “killing me as you killed the Egyptian.” Ex.2:14

Moses fled to Midian to what would be his father-in-law’s land. While he tended his flocks, the Lord called Moses’ attention back to the task He had in store for him – the leading of Israel out of Egypt. A bush was burning but did not burn up! It caught Moses’ attention, of course, so he went over closer to observe what was going on! The Lord called to him from inside the bush, even more of an attention getter! The Lord identified Himself. “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Ex. 3:6

Sometimes we ask in the midst of trials – “where is God?” or “why would God allow this?” but be assured God is away. God continues in Ex. 3:7-8 “I have indeed seen the misery of My people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the land of Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey.” God in His everlasting wisdom had the plans all taken care of ahead of time. But Moses now questions God, “Why me?” and “Who shall I saw is sending me? And he continues, “Please ask someone else.” For all the excuses God has an answer, “I AM WHO I AM.” For Moses. God has been our Savior and Friend for all generations and all time. We need to move ahead with His guidance, knowing He is well aware of our needs.
-Marlene Conrad

His own, His covenant and blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When every earthly prop gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.
On Christ the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand
.
Sources:
Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS permission granted for personal and congregational use.
Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved

My Hope is Built on Nothing Less stanza three - The Lutheran Hymnal © 1940 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: