Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Thursday prior to Proper 20

 



1 Timothy 2:1-5— Pray for those in authority that all may live in peace

On the surface, this lesson does not seem to deal with this week’s theme “The Right Use of Money,” yet a closer study shows that the implication is, if we pray for secular authorities, we shall have a society in which there can be economic justice and thus the conditions described by Amos in the Old Testament lesson would be prohibited.  

Paul urges prayer for all people, especially rulers that we may live in peace. Paul talks about the hands of prayer. In recent years, there is a growing practice in some churches for people to raise their hands while praying, or some pastors hold out their hands with upraised palms when leading the people in prayer. This reading is traditionally used as the Epistle reading for Thanksgiving Day.

Collect for the Fifteenth Sunday of Pentecost: Lord of all power and might, Author and Giver of all good things, graft in our hearts the love of Your name, increase in us true religion, nourish us with all goodness, and bring forth in us the fruit of good works; through Jesus Christ our Lord. [2]

Collect for Thursday of the week of Pentecost 14: O Almighty, Eternal God of Truth…I confess and I am deeply sorry that I am sinful and have so often sinned against Thee. I implore Thee to forgive me all my sins, be gracious unto me and justify me for Thy beloved Son’s sake; whom Thou doest decree to be our Redeemer. With Thy Holy Spirit purify my heart and guide my soul that I may truly know, love, and serve Thee. Amen –Philip Melanchthon [3] -15 September, 2022



[1] Luther’s Seal, copyright © Ed Riojas, Higher Things

[2] Collect for Pentecost 15, Lutheran Worship © 1980 Concordia Publishing House. St, Louis

[3] Collect for Thursday of the week of Pentecost 14, For All the Saints, A Prayer Book For and By the Church, Vol. II © 1995 The American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, Delhi, NY


No comments: