Friday, September 23, 2022

Saturday prior to Proper 21

 

1 John 4:19 - Sunday’s Hymn of the Day is Lord, Thee I Love with All My Heart, (LSB #708). The Christian’s only focus is upon Christ. When we fear, love and trust in Him above all things then we are content. Read the words of stanza three. This is a powerful evening prayer one which has been prayed with many a Christian on their death bed. When we pray these words confidently we truly are at peace with God and with ourselves.

Lord, Let at last Thine angels come, To Abr’han’s bosom bear me home, That I may die un-fearing; And in its narrow chamber keep My body safe in peaceful sleep Until Thy reappearing. And then from death awaken me, That these mine eyes with joy may see, O Son of God, Thy glorious face, My Savior and my fount of grace. Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend, And I will praise thee without end.

Collect for Saturday of the week of Pentecost 15: Almighty and everlasting God, heavenly Father, we give Thee humble thanks that Thou hast vouchsafed to grant us a knowledge of Thyself, and faith in thee. Increase this knowledge in us, we beseech thee, and confirm our faith forevermore, through Jesus Christ our Lord. [2] -24 September, 2022


[1] The rich man and Lazarus, Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS permission granted for personal and congregational use

[2] Collect for Saturday of the week of Pentecost 15, For All the Saints, A Prayer Book For and By the Church, Vol. II © 1995 The American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, Delhi, NY


No comments: