Monday, April 6, 2020

Monday of Holy Week - Parish Devotion



April 6, 2020
Monday in Holy Week


Collect of the Day
Almighty God, grant that in the midst of our failures and weaknesses we may be restored through the passion and intercession of Your only-begotten Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

Hymn of the Day
LSB 434 Lamb of God, pure and holy

Lamb of God, pure and holy,
Who on the cross didst suffer,
Ever patient and lowly,
Thyself to scorn didst offer.
All sins Thou borest for us,
Else had despair reigned o'er us:
Have mercy on us,
O Jesus!  O Jesus!

Lamb of God, pure and holy,
Who on the cross didst suffer,
Ever patient and lowly,
Thyself to scorn didst offer.
All sins Thou borest for us,
Else had despair reigned o'er us:
Have mercy on us,
O Jesus!  O Jesus!

Lamb of God, pure and holy,
Who on the cross didst suffer,
Ever patient and lowly,
Thyself to scorn didst offer.
All sins Thou borest for us,
Else had despair reigned o'er us:
Thy peace be with us,
O Jesus!  O Jesus!

The text is public domain:

The name "Lamb of God" comes from the two citations from John 1, although Jesus is also compared to a lamb in Isaiah 53 and 1 Peter 1.

"Ever patient and lowly, / Thyself to scorn didst offer" paraphrases Isaiah 53:7 (just without the specific imagery), and the redemption mentioned in John 1:29, Isaiah 53, and 1 Peter 1 appears in the hymn as "All sins Thou borest for us."

Jesus' peace in John 14 appears at the very end: "Thy peace be with us, / O Jesus!"

Verse
John 12:23b
The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.

Introit
Psalm 31:10–11, 13–15; antiphon: v. 9
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;
                my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also.
For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing;
                my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away.
Because of all my adversaries I have become a reproach, especially to my neighbors, and an object of dread to my acquaintances;
                those who see me in the street flee from me.
For I hear the whispering of many—terror on every side!—
                as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life.
But I trust in you, O Lord;
                I say, “You are my God.”
My times are in your hand;
                rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;
                my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also.


Content from Lutheran Service Book: Altar Book copyright © 2006 Concordia Publishing House. All rights reserved. Unless otherwise indicated, Scripture quotations are from the ESV Bible® (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. All rights reserved.

Schnorr Von Carolsfeld woodcuts, ‘The Crucifixion’ copyright © WELS permission granted for personal and congregational use

No comments: