Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Wednesday of Lent 3



Wednesday of Lent 3 – March 27, 2019 – Psalm 4:8


In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety

Psalm 4 – antiphon v. 7, “You have filled my heart with greater joy than when the grain and new wine abound.” The hard work put into spring planning and summer growth pays off in the fall at harvest. Who isn’t overjoyed at a bumper crop? Yet the Psalmist reminds us greater joy is found is in knowing the Lord who has filled the heart. In Biblical language the heart is the center of the human spirit, from which spring emotions, thought, motivations, courage and action, -“the wellspring of life.” (Proverbs 4:23)
Many nights there are countless people who’ve lost sleep to fear anxiety and worry.  On the edge of wakefulness when a new scenario pops into the mind. And it would take all your energy not to think of a way around it. Many of you can relate. Your head hits the pillow; you take one look at the ceiling and the thoughts flood in – What if? How come? Why is that? How can I? How could he? What if she? The stillness of the night only gives these thoughts more room to grow.
The Psalmist reminds us “In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”  Your need may be great. – Your circumstances might possibly be overwhelming. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Regardless of the situation His watchful eye is upon you.
When in the night I sleepless lie,
My soul with heav’ly thoughts supply;
Let no ill dreams disturb my rest,
No pow’rs of darkness me molest.[1]    

Give ear to our prayers, O Lord, and direct the way of Your servants in safety under your protection, that, amid all the changes of our earthly pilgrimage, we may be guarded by Your mighty aid; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.[2]



[1] All Praise to Thee My God, This Night stanza five, Lutheran Service Book © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[2]Collect for Wednesday of Lent 3,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm

No comments: