Saturday, March 3, 2018

Saturday of Lent 2



Saturday of Lent 2, March 3, 2018                          Micah 7:18-20

In the concluding lines of a hymn the Lord’s loving and forgiving nature is described, followed by a confident assertion of faith in Him. To know and trust such a God provokes in us a humble awe of our own unworthiness. With the tax collector in the temple, we are moved to pray, “God be merciful to me a sinner!” (Luke 18:13) 1

Luther explains for us what forgiveness means in his explanation to the fifth petition, “And forgive us our trespasses.”  We pray in this petition that our Father in heaven would not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that He would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. So we too will sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us

Hymn: Jesus I Will Ponder Now  (Lutheran Service Book :440:5)
If my sins give me alarm
And my conscience grieve me
Let Your cross my fear disarm;
Peace of conscience give me
Help me see forgiveness won
By Your holy passion,
If for me He slays His Son,
God must have compassion!

I hope in Your, O Lord. Never leave me nor forsake me. Amen

Grant, most merciful Lord, to Your faithful people pardon and peace, that they may be cleansed from all their sins, and serve You with a quiet mind; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen 2

1. Lutheran Study Bible © 2009 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
2. Collect for Saturday of Lent 2,  http://www.liturgies.net/Lent/LentenCollects.htm


No comments: