Saturday, May 7, 2016

Easter 7


Christians these days seem to be divided more than ever. The ecumenical movement with the desire to unite all believers in Christ into one church seems to have lost its forward thrust. Instead of uniting it appears that churches are actually separating, forming new denominations over such issues as the interpretation of Scripture, the ordination of women, and revisions of worship. There is an urgent need as always for the church to be one. The question, of course, is how is this done?

As we examine the words of Jesus today we find a model for unity.

1. A unity of relationship – love. Vv.21, 23 I am praying… that they will all be one, just as you, Father, are in me and I am in you. I pray that they will be in us, so that the world will believe that you sent me…I in them and you in me – that they may be completely one, so that the world will know that you sent me, and you have loved them just as you have loved me.

A. As Christ is one in God, and a Christian is one in Christ, so Christians are to be one with each other. This is the unity for which Jesus was praying. A unity not made by man but a unity which comes from Christ. This unity is how Luke describes the 1st Century Christians in the book of Acts. It is the verse which describes the Mission, Vision and Philosophy of our Friedheim family. “And they were one in the Apostles doctrine, and in Fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in prayer.” [Acts 2:42]

B. It is love, which draws, cements and unites us. Not our love but the love of Christ. It is love expressed in a cross. “Lift high the cross, the cross of Christ proclaim” so the church sings. The Father’s’ love is not an emotion nor is it a felling. It is expressed in tangible things at the cross and empty tomb, in holy waters of baptism and in the bread and wine of His meal.

Transition: There is a unity of relationship of love there is also a close fellowship between the members of Christ’s family the Church.


2. A unity of togetherness – Vs. 24 Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, so that they can see my glory that you gave me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

A. Unity is expressed in being together. How are we united?

1. “The Apostles Doctrine” Being one in unity and faith. Basing our lives on God’s Holy Word as He speaks clearly to us through that Word.

2. “Fellowship” Being one in the Lord Jesus Christ. Experiencing true joy in Christ. Living at peace with each other and enjoying one another.

3. “The Breaking of Bread” Sacramental living. Experiencing daily the forgiveness of sins, life and salvation as Christ comes to us in and through the Sacraments.

4. “Prayer” Upholding one another. Taking our needs burdens joys and sorrows to the throne room of grace. Being thankful as the Savior answers each petition.

B. By His Ascension Jesus is now with the Father.

1. He ascended into heaven to prepare a place for you and me.

2. In glory He lives and rules throughout all eternity.

C. Jesus has prayed that His people also may be with Him in heaven.

1. There you and I will live with Him.

2. We will dwell with Him throughout all eternity.

Transition: There is a unity of relationship of love there is also a close fellowship between the members of Christ’s family the Church. Together we gossip the gospel in the world.

3. A unity of common cause – Vv.21, 23 I am praying… that they will all be one, just as you, Father, are in me and I am in you. I pray that they will be in us, so that the world will believe that you sent me…I in them and you in me – that they may be completely one, so that the world will know that you sent me, and you have loved them just as you have loved me.

A. When people have a common cause, they unite and work together to achieve the goal. What is it that the Lord would have us do? What is it that the Lord is calling this congregation to do as a witness for Christ? What is it that the Lord Jesus is calling you as a family, as an individual Christian to be His witness in this generation? How is He calling you to be salt and light in this world?

B. The goal of the church is to be a witness to the world which is to come to know and believe in Jesus Christ. Jesus prays for this unity so that the world will know that you sent me.
This is the message the world needs to hear. They need to hear for what purpose the Savior came. He came to give life to the world. He came to unite us to Him.

Christ has claimed you to be His own. He protects you and has given you a unity and fellowship that this world can never know. It is a unity not created or sustained by man but comes to us in know Christ and in being incorporated into His family the church.


Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS for personal and congregational use

No comments: