An Ascension Message of Joy
May 5, 2016
Almighty God, as Your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, ascended into the heavens, so may we also ascend in heart and mind and continually dwell there with him, who lives, and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
1. There is joy in the fulfillment of God’s prophesies in the Old Testament.
A. The Messianic prophesies of the Old Testament are fulfilled.
B. “It was necessary.”
C. Jesus opens the minds of the disciples to understand – here merely an intellectual comprehension.
2. There is joy in the call to purpose and significant service.
A. “You will be witnesses of these things.”
1. They witnessed the “what” and “why” of the suffering, dying, and rising again of Christ.
2. They were to carry on the work of Christ. This command is in the constant present. Until Christ’s coming again.
3. They were to begin in Jerusalem and go out into the entire world.
B. They proclaimed repentance and forgiveness in His name.
1. True repentance involves two things.
a. First, come sorrow and contrition.
b. Then follows faith, which trusts the promise of God’s forgiveness.
2. It is proclaimed “in His name.”
C. The Holy Spirit would empower them.
3. There is joy in the blessing that found response in joyful worship.
A. They receive the blessing of Christ, not the least of which was the promise of His abiding presence. (see Matthew 28:20)
B. Their worship in the temple anticipates their joy of worship in heaven. (see John 14:1-6)
The Ascension joy is also available to us in the same was and on the same terms. God has promised, called, and blessed us. We in that blessing respond in joyful service and worship, until in Christ’s coming gain we are taken “so that where He is we may be also” – in heaven, where we shall serve and worship our God in the fullness of joy that knows no end!
Passive Sentences –
Reading Level -6.2